Monday, January 2, 2017

Dear 2016:




In an undisclosed location, I untied you from the dock and pushed you into the open water; the waves caught you starboard and drug you from my shore with little effort. You disappeared on the horizon of my quiet reflections leaving only calm seas for my new journey aboard 2017. I’ve not even left the bay and already I feel an empowered renewed purpose commanding my attention. Although still bruised, I survived the “Perfect Storm” of losses last year (both expected and unexpected). There was a moment, albeit brief, that you almost broke me and I began to list in my own questions about how to navigate the end of life care of my brother and mother, remain a mast for my dad, and, explore the deep waters of childhood issues with my sister. This is not the place, however, to stack those heavy ballast boxes; my deck is clear, I have no regrets and it's time to steer clear of the past looking only ahead.


One thing before I step forward, thank you with all sincerity for the uncharted waters we crossed; I've gained practical experience that will allow me to stay the course. Our "Perfect Storm" revealed reservoirs of untapped strength at the ready no matter how many terrific blows land across the hull. I’m now capable of lifting all of myself above this past year's events with a smile on my face knowing that there are new lands to discover and more adventures to be had even among the dark skies ahead. No matter the seas; I am fully prepared to take on whatever storms may come thanks to you, 2016.

Mona McPherson

No comments:

Post a Comment